Sunday, August 23, 2009

Is anybody out there?

I have tried blogging before and that same thing is happening. I write for a couple days and nobody reads it and I lose interest. You've got to admit that it is not very interesting or inspiring to write if no one reads it. Alas, what am I to do? This is exactly why I told you that I don't write novels.

I have discovered one thing though and that is I know now what I want to be. I want to be a star. I want to be a rich famous television star. Now how am I going to make that happen? How does one go about becoming a television star? I certainly have the credentials with a Master's degree in television from the Newhouse School. I also know that much of television happens with independent producers. I have also produced a lot of stuff starring myself over the years.

Most recently I had that prostate cancer series. I did it on our local educational access channel and it was quite successful. I interviewed health care professionals and cancer survivors about prostate cancer issues. I wonder if RETN still has those in its archives. Before that I did years and years of things on mental health including satellite town meetings, almost a hundred interviews, documentaries, teleconferences and even a series inside the state hospital produced by the patients.

For a while I had my own television production company called White Light Communications and we had a large three year federal consumer demonstration grant that was instrumental in advancing the cause of the disability rights movement. We also had state grants and grants for the John D. & Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation and the van Ameringen Foundation. I was almost famous then. I was being considered as a MacArthur Foundation Fellow but wasn't chosen. I did go to the White House and the Carter Center at that time. Someone once even asked me for my autograph. That was from the late 70s to mid 90s.

It seems that I only communicate when I get worked up enough about an issue that actually affects my life directly. Perhaps something will come along again. Right now I don't feel it at all. This is a time of doldrums where I am spending myself into a hole that I will never get out of unless I do get rich and famous.

I suppose I shouldn't jump ahead in my story but I have always felt that I have a mission here in Vermont but I don't know what it is. The only consolation I get about this is that everybody is always doing their mission and I am as well. I am also encouraged to leave Vermont, forget about my mission and live someplace where I can be happy.

I promise I will return to my story when I do the next blog. Just not today. I don't feel like it at all today. It did occur to me that I have a lot of 60s stories to tell and that I need to include them in my life story and I also probably have some interesting Vermont stories from over the years.

My favorite little quip about Vermont comes from when Stub Earl was the state representative from Eden and Johnson, where I lived, to the state legislature. In a town hall meeting one time he said that he was opposed to the Australian ballot being used to vote because he didn't want foreign influences in Vermont elections.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there Paul! I'm reading... following along. You aren't alone out there.

    ReplyDelete